Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Amazing post by Renee Swope

 The Journey of My Heart

From the time I was in middle school, I didn’t really like who I was. I know a lot of us didn’t like ourselves at that age, but we all desperately wanted others to like us.

At that point, I think a lot of us secretly compared ourselves to those around us, observed who was liked most, and tried to be like the popular people.

In my Proverbs 31 devotion, "Becoming the Real Me," I talk about having that same unhealthy habit in my adult life, too. And I know I'm not alone. For many women, it wasn't just a phase when we were teenagers; it's still a struggle now.

Sometimes it's because we don't have the confidence to find out who we really are. Many of us are just more more comfortable buried in busyness and hiding behind our self-doubts.

And lots of times it's because we're convinced we don't really have anything special to offer anyway, so we just keep being who others want, need or expect us to be.

Well my friend, it's time to stop. How,? Well, first we have to top comparing ourselves to other women. Why would we compare how we feel inadequate on the inside with how someone else looks like they had it all together on the outside? We always end up feeling less than.

Not only is comparison toxic for us personally, it's also destructive relationally. Comparison causes us measure ours worth against other women, and it makes us compete with each other.

But God created us to complete one another, not compete with each other.

[Image]In my book, A Confident Heart, I share how we can do that by encouraging each others' strengths, overlooking each others' weaknesses and celebrating each other' uniqueness.

The truth is, life is hard and we need each other! “But now God has placed the parts, each one of them in the body just as He wanted. And if they were all the same part, where would the body be? Now there are many parts, yet one body.” 1 Corinthians 12:18-20

God gives all of us unique personalities, abilities, passions and experiences because we each play a leading role in the story He’s writing with our lives.

So, today when you are tempted to compare yourself to another woman and doubt starts whispering that you’re not as smart as she is, or gifted or pretty or godly…remember you are "God’s masterpiece...created anew in Christ so that [you] can do the good things He planned for [you] long ago.” Ephesians 2:10, (NLT)

In my upcoming book, A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself and Live in the Security of God’s Promises, I have a whole chapter on this topic and other self-doubts that keep us from becoming the women God created us to be!

1 comment:

  1. I have to get this book-I fall into the comparison trap so easily. The feeling of not having anything to offer is a lie I always believe. So happy to have read this!!!

    Blessings to you!

    Pls visit me www.breakformom.com

    ReplyDelete